Sunday, January 23, 2011

Word War III

I always thought of him as an out of the box politician but not in a good way.  He definitely put his constituency on the map. I consider that an achievement in my book. But he didn’t consider them when firing must of his out of context vocabulary.  I wasn’t surprised when I learnt he lost the parties primaries a couple of weeks ago. House representative Patrick Obahiagbon is also a YouTube sensation among Nigerian internet users.  However I can't believe an individual like him is one of the many that run our national affairs.  There is a thin line between trying to prove to be an intellectual and a mere joke. He unfortunately falls to the latter part. Most of his interviews I couldn't take seriously.


My concern in particular is how such a man could be accountable to his people if they can’t even make out his words. And don’t even give me the excuse “he would speak to them in his indigenous language”. How about his fellow House representatives? Notable Nigerian literature scholars do not even communicate like that. It’s a distraction. Unfortunately in most of the interviews he seemed to take much pleasure in his act.  


Even if House representative Obahiagbon intention and political career was for the people, his indulgence in ambiguous vocabulary as marred it.  As we march towards election day let us not be cocooned or be put in a state of orga moga by political Homo sapiens. Let us pray to the grand architect of the Universe to save us from a Word war IV.     

No comments:

Post a Comment